Wednesday, December 16, 2009

La Ruta part 4

Stage 2 had the steepest climbs and stage 3 had one of the longest.I climbed for 3 hrs up to the top of a volcano.There was a hike a bike section that no one could ride and it went from almost 30 degrees to 5 degrees Celsius.Then i descended for 2 hrs down the back side.It was wet,muddy and full of baby heads.My hands were so sore and numb.The descents are where i lost all my time because i am not a great descender but i managed to take my time and rode it all.I passed some bloody people on this decent and one person was in so much pain that they were crying i tried to help but they didn't know what i was saying so a local took over.Stage 4 i was so ready to go it wasn't funny.I was awake most of the night watching my clock.I didn't need the 3:30 am alarm.I was feeling super good and wanted to have a strong ride.It was raining all night and it rained all day and i mean poured.We had a 40km an hr controlled start which was crazy,right threw town.I had lost sight of Don but all of a sudden i came around a corner there he was,he had flatted so i jumped off my bike and offered a hand.He had pretty much every thing under control so i said i would ride ahead because i knew he would ride hard to catch me and he did just before the teresal bridge's.So we rode the rest of the way together and pulled super hard on the flat road section.Then came the tracks wet ,bumpy and long.Saw alot of flat tire's but we made it.Thanks tubeless tires.When we got to the ocean it was still pouring rain but we went for a swim anyways then got cleaned up and had some beers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job Cory, and writeup.

also, nice change with the blog... good pic on the top.

cory smith said...

Thanks Greg.That was a pic while i was climbing to the top of the Irazu volcano on stage 3.