Monday, June 8, 2009

Morden Recap

What a great race!Lots of people,great course and ok weather.I did the 80Km race which was tough.Some spots were alittle rough and others were a bit wet.There were 2 creek crossings alots of grunter climbs ,single track,double track and some gravel road sections.It pretty much had it all except for long climbs which are almost impossible to find in Manitoba anyways.My race was good i didn't go out to hard and then got into a grove.My goal was to average 1hr a lap for 5 laps which ended up working out to 5:06 mins of riding time using my gps with about 5 mins of stops (feed zone ,crashes etc. etc)which i thought was pretty dame close .I wanted to start with a good 2 laps and then tone it down and get comfortable and finish strong.You always have to be careful not to follow someone else's pace when you do the long races.You have to know your body because the main goal is to finish the race.I could have gone alittle harder but i honestly thought some of the guys ahead of me would wear down( i was wrong).Good job to all the guys that did the 80km race even the guys that didn't finish because it takes balls to do or try to do a race like this and if you finish you can really say you did something.Here is some of my race numbers on my gps.


1st lap 53:59
2nd lap 58:27
3rd lap 1:02:10
4th lap 1:06:06
5th lap 1:03:42

calories burnt 3611
climbing 1623m
zone 1 9:19
zone 2 1:17
zone 3 7:41
zone4 2:25:15
zone 5 2:46:12
max heart rate 187
The rate zone times are more because that is including my small warm-up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great Cory! You will be ready and hopefully peeking for La Ruta... wish I could go with you.

Sad that I couldn't make it to the 40, but am home now, so have registered for swan... I am also registering for xc8, but hope to see you before then. Once the cups are done, or in the next few weeks, we need to get out and ride together. You doing Bring a friend or Reach the beach?

cory smith said...

reach the beach yes
b.a.f i don't think so.

Coach Dave said...

RTB will be a War of epic proportions!

cory smith said...

I can hardly wait.( Love the hurt )My legs always feel like they are going to fall off at the end of this race and with paddy coming he is going to set a super fast pace.